Creating a Full Luminaire

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
grockwell

Creating a Full Luminaire

Post by grockwell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm trying to create a full luminaire to use in DialuxEvo. I've got the IES file for the fixture, and a few different 3d models of the fixture, however, I can't figure out how to merge the two, to allow me to select the luminaire for future projects and have the light fixture and the light information oriented and easily controlled in dialux. I assume that people have done this before as there's catalogs of Luminaires, I just can't figure out how.

Csuleiman

Re: Creating a Full Luminaire

Post by Csuleiman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:56 am

Dear grockwell,

IES and LDT files are only photometric files displayed in a rather simple geometric shape. Solely the luminaire manufacturers (who applied a DIALux license) have the opportunity to include pictures, description texts or a 3D realistic model of the luminaire by means of the in-house format of DIALux "ULD". The ULD file format is an internal DIALux format which our plugins use.

Depending on the license a manufacturer bought from DIAL he can have 3D models (3DS or SAT) or 3D basic elements (cube, prism, sphere) for the visualization of his luminaries. In case the manufacturer has the license for 3D models, not necessarily all luminaries have SAT files. As making SAT files is some work, the manufacturer sometimes use the complex models only for design luminaries.

While DIALux software is free to use manufacturers needs to buy a license to become a DIALux partner and to import their products into this software. We have standard and premium license.
Premium partners can for example design their DIALux plugin more individual and have the possibility to provide ULD files for download.

So, to sum up, it is not possible to create your own ULD file by yourself.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team