Problem with Parallels - Macbook Pro M1 chip

crashes, error report
Jitze

Problem with Parallels - Macbook Pro M1 chip

Post by Jitze » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:42 pm

Dialux evo is not working on Parallels on new Macbook Pro 14" with M1 chip. The system is crashing. See details under:

"Faulting application name: DIALux_x86.exe, version: 5.10.1.58260, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: haspdnert.dll, version: 8.3.3618.60001, time stamp: 0x6177f1cc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0011adeb
Faulting process id: 0x19a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80c6ad1d8ca2f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\DIAL GmbH\DIALux\DIALux_x86.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\DIAL GmbH\DIALux\haspdnert.dll
Report Id: 414d5b1e-414c-4165-902c-2c92528ed077
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:"

Why is Dialux not producing a 64bits ARM version for Windows??
There will be a lot of users having or becoming the same problem?

Does somebody have tips to help me out ?
Thanks in advance
Jitze

T.Magenheimer

Re: Problem with Parallels - Macbook Pro M1 chip

Post by T.Magenheimer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 am

Dear Jitze,

Unfortunately, I do not yet fully understand the specific problem. There are problems with the 32-bit version and you are looking for a 64-bit version of our evo software?

This is of course also available, as you can see in the two screenshots below.

SC1.JPG
SC1.JPG (319.96 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
SC2.JPG
SC2.JPG (91.04 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

If I have misunderstood the problem, please explain it in more detail.

Best regards
Your DIAL Support Team

Jitze

Post by Jitze » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am

Dear support team,

Thanks for your answer, I mean I have a problem having Dialux working via Parallels software on a new Macbook pro with the latest M1 chip.
The normal 32 bit or 64 bit versions are not working.
Needed is a 64 bit ARM version. Is this already available for download.
Not only necessary for the new generation Apple Macbooks also for the new Windows ARM-based PCs

Thanks for a reply

Best
Jitze

64_Richard

Post by 64_Richard » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:04 pm

A Mac OS version would be better :-)

T.Magenheimer

Post by T.Magenheimer » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:24 am

Dear Jitze,

Unfortunately, we cannot help you with this problem at the moment. Due to the fact that the new MacBook’s have been converted to ARM, the use of Parallels no longer works. We do not compile our DIALux software for ARM processors. Since we do not support MacBook’s, we do not plan to adapt them in the near future. We can't give a timeframe here either. In 2022, this will not play a role for us.

Best regards
Your DIAL Support Team

Jitze

Post by Jitze » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 am

64_Richard wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:04 pm
A Mac OS version would be better :-)
Yes, indeed
Or a cloud version suitable for every platform

Jitze

Post by Jitze » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:07 am

T.Magenheimer wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:24 am
Dear Jitze,

Unfortunately, we cannot help you with this problem at the moment. Due to the fact that the new MacBook’s have been converted to ARM, the use of Parallels no longer works. We do not compile our DIALux software for ARM processors. Since we do not support MacBook’s, we do not plan to adapt them in the near future. We can't give a timeframe here either. In 2022, this will not play a role for us.

Best regards
Your DIAL Support Team
Dear Team,

Well maybe Dialux should adept to the future: Many manufacturers, not only Apple, but also Samsung start to work with the new ARM processors since they use less power. Also Windows offers an ARM version, so why not make a Dialux version suitable for ARM ?
Or why not make a cloud version ?

Best
Jitze

Yekrallum

Post by Yekrallum » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:51 pm

Hi,

Here is a summary of what I believe the issue is and a bit more detail from my limited understanding of the tech.

Microsoft recently (late 2021) updated Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview to natively run on ARM processors. I believe Microsoft's vision is to eventually have just Windows, not Windows on X64, Windows on x86 and Windows on ARM. This new insider Windows build made it possible for Mac users with M1 ARM processors to once again install a full version of Windows on their Mac's using a virtual machine like Parallels. Mac users including myself have been using VM's to run Dialux on Intel x64 Mac's for years.

The best bit is that through some kind of emulation (magic) built in to Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview, the vast majority of native x64 Windows programs just work. Every program I have downloaded works, including Relux and Autocad - all except Dialux.

I have very limited knowledge of hardware acceleration like Direct X (Windows) and Metal (Mac). But it is my understanding that there is a compatibility issue between Direct X and Metal on M1 processors that Parallels have yet to overcome. Perhaps this is the reason that Dialux will not open in Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview on an ARM processor yet Relux performs flawlessly.

While a native Mac version of Dialux would be amazing, I know it's not in the pipeline. Nor do not believe that Dialux should develop a specific version for ARM, especially when it appears the future of Windows is towards a 'One Windows' direction where Windows does the work and we, the user, don't have to wait for every dev team to create a specific version of their software for ARM, x86 or x64.

However, it would be great if the Dial team would investigate why your software is not running on Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview on ARM when the x64 versions of Relux and CAD for example, run perfectly. Is it because of Direct X? Is there a version that doesn't need Direct X that we could test and use? Or is there any other solution?

Thanks.

Jitze

Post by Jitze » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:35 am

Interesting story @Yekrallum; I hope the Dialux team will send a reply, or even better they do a proper investigation on this subject.

Yekrallum

Post by Yekrallum » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:19 pm

Hi Dialux Team,

Following on from my update yesterday, I downloaded Dialux 4.13 and it installed and is working. See the screenshot image below where you can also view my PC and OS details. I'm hoping this is good news, perhaps it means that in order to get EVO working only minor backend adjustment is required. Or are EVO and 4.13 built using different technology? Hopefully, it is a help of some kind.

In summary:
  • Computer: Macbook Pro with M1 Max ARM processor
  • Working software: Dialux 4.13 x86, Relux x64, Autocad x64
  • Non-working software: Dialux Evo x64, Dialux Evo x86
Dialux Evo behaviour
  • x64 version: The launch window opens, the program goes full screen and immediately closes. It does not freeze or crash, it just closes.
  • x86 version: Nothing happens when trying the open the program.
Dialux 4-13 working on ARM.png
Dialux 4-13 working on ARM.png (415.79 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Looking forward to comments from the Dialux Team.

Thanks